Crownhill Fort was built between 1862 and 1872 as part of the Royal Commission fortifications, a series of ten fortified structures between the River Tamar and River Plym.
The fort was designed to protect Plymouth and Devonport Royal Dockyard from a potential invasion from the French. Today, it is the only fort of its kind in Plymouth to be actively preserved and open to the public.
The Derriford Fortside team has been working closely with Historic England (formerly English Heritage) over many months to ensure the design of the scheme complements the setting of the historic fort. Our draft master plan has been designed to make the best use of the site’s green spaces and our close proximity to the fort.
For example, the introduction of green roofs and a new amphitheatre garden will enhance the outlook from the fort.